Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Cranberry Clafoutis

Cranberry Clafoutis
My clafoutis has been suffering an identity crisis. I was hoping to rectify
this situation with the latest recipe configuration. About a year ago I
tweaked my standard recipe to include yogurt and was happy with it.
When I went to make a cranberry version the scribbled on piece of
paper was nowhere to be found so I would have to start over. After
several wonderful renditions, I realized that my beloved was becoming
indistinguishable from a Far Breton save the fruit. A Far Breton is very
similar but I feel has more of a custard personality while a clafoutis is
generally thought of more resembling a baked pancake. Also a key
distinction of the Far is the very consistent appearance of prunes or
plums; most traditionally prunes, but the use of plums as well as soaking
in liquor are both respectful innovations. I’m one of those people who
makes my cherry clafoutis with the pits intact but still feel free to use
whatever fruit is in season.


So what was I to do? I decided to start using fresh yogurt rather than
a combination of milk and strained. Of course, yogurt needn’t be included
at all – in fact it’s not part of the traditional formula at all, but I like it.
Now, your yogurt won’t be just like mine, mine is homemade and subject
to daily variations. Use your favorite whole milk yogurt, I can’t recommend
low fat yogurt in any context. But the yogurt wasn’t really the issue. I
opted to increase the flour, and in the end settled on the 3/4 cup detailed
below. Given the use of two tart fruits I went a little heavy on the sugar.
I would ordinarily be happy with 1/3 cup. (Somewhere in all this the old
piece of paper turned up, and not surprisingly I ended up with the same
formula.)

Most every aspect of the this formula is up for grabs, like a pancake it is
very flexible and personal, if you are so inclined and have the time by all
means let the batter rest overnight in the refrigerator. Just don’t add
melted butter until you are ready to bake. You aren’t really looking for
gluten development after all.


Dusted with powdered sugar
Cranberry Clafoutis

3 Eggs
1 1/2 cups whole milk yogurt
1/2 cup evaporated cane juice, 2 Tablespoons reserved for fruit plus
      optional extra for pan and top
Pinch of salt
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 Cup all purpose flour
2 Tablespoons melted butter, plus some for the pan
1/2 to 1 Cup cranberries, to taste
1 to 1 1/2  Granny smith apples, cored and cut in large dice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter pan and dust with sugar pan if you
are so inclined.Combine fruit and sugar and set aside. Whisk together eggs,
yogurt, sugar, salt, vanilla, flour and stir in melted butter. Submit to oven.
Once custard is set, after about 20 minutes, rain on a bit of sugar. Bake
till set and golden, about 45 minutes. Eat warm or room temperature any
time of day.

Clafoutis w peeled apples

1 comment: